Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Lee's Ferry

On our way to Utah over Thanksgiving, we spent the night at the Cliff Dwells Lodge in Marble Canyon which is about 40 minutes from page in AZ. The next morning we got up early and met up with OUR fishing guide, Rocky, whom we would be spending the day with fishing Lee's Ferry. Lee's Ferry is a famous fishing spot just below the dam of Lake Powell. It goes about 16-20 miles. It use to be a place to go and catch huge trout, but Rocky was telling us that they don't have trout over 18 inch any more because they wash out the river and it kills off their food source. It was so beautiful. The morning was cool, but once the sun came in the canyon it was nice. I was worried about Carter, but he did awesome. The boat was big enough that he had room to run around and check things out. Rocky was really nice and cool with both Carter and I being there.


Rocky gave Nate a lot of great pointers to help him cast better and learn the tricks of the Colorado River.

In the morning that water was like glass and so fresh looking. It made me want to go water skiing and want to jump in. I am sure it was pretty cold.

Around 10am Carter was calming down and getting a little fussy. I knew he was getting tired. He does really well with sleeping, but has never fallen asleep in our arms. I also knew that the boat noise and rocking would probably help put him to sleep. It was so cute. He looked up at me and signed "Sleep". He knew he was ready. I picked him up and rocked him a bit and he fell asleep. He slept for about 1 hour and then woke ready to play again.

We ventured all the way up to the dam. It was so cool to see. Every time we drive over the dam, I look down at the river and see how beautiful it is and want to go down there. It was fun to be down there and see what it was all about.

On the side of the walls there are a bunch of wholes or cut outs about 50 feet between each other. We asked Rocky what it was and he said that there is a tunnel in the rock wall from the dam down about 2 miles. They used to use it for building the dam and transporting things, but now they have a tour that goes through it and then ends by floating down the river. It was pretty cool.

The fishing was the best in the morning. He caught a fish about every cast, but once we stopped for lunch the fish died down. Even though he did not catch anything in the afternoon. It was still a great day and so nice to be out and be together as a family.






4 comments:

Marilee said...

What a fun trip for all three of you! Nate is definitely enjoying fishing!!!!

Sheila said...

You look so cold on your little outing! I love to see little babies in hats. It's makes there little fat cheeks so cute.

Aimee said...

I am very impressed that you and Carter went with Nate. I am not sure how well Tuscanee would have done on a boat all day.

Janelle said...

wow wee,,,, you are the fishing family for sure... Fish is on the mind constantly there. So do you fish Cindi? Have you tried it yet?