Saturday, July 18, 2009

Utah, 7 waters in 6 days

For Nate's birthday, I gave him a surprise fishing trip up in Utah. He knew that we were going to Utah and that we would be fishing, but he did not know where or what we were doing. Carter is a pretty good traveler, but we decided to break the trip up anyway. Nate has heard good things about a lake in Panguitch Utah, so we stayed the night in a little cabin and spent the next day fishing the lake and a couple creeks.


Carter has always slept in his Bed so we were not quite sure how he would do sleeping in a big bed with mommy. Nate slept in the single bunk so he could sneak out early and fish. I think the mix of traveling all day, 30 minute nap, a new place, and getting to be way to late put carter into overdrive and we had the worst 2 hours of trying to get him to sleep. He was so wired he was jumping and doing donkey kicks all over the place. Nate and I were exhausted so it was a rough night. He finally fell asleep smashed up against my legs. I was so worried he would wake up when Nate left, but I think he was so tired he slept in a bit.


We spent the day tagging along with Nate at all of his fishing holes. Carter had so much fun fishing with Nate. He would hold the net and "Catch" the fish for Nate. We finally pulled in to Grandma V's house around 6 and Carter was so excited to see her. We all took a little walk to visit Nana and Papa to stretch our tired legs. Carter was having so much fun playing with all these fun people.










Grandma V was watching Carter for us so we could go on our adventure. I had given Nate little clues on our drive up and on the morning of, he guessed it. We were headed up to a fly fishing lodge in the Uintas. Grandma and Aunt Aimee were taking Carter and Tuscanee to Discover Gateway so we all left at the same time and from the Report I got, Carter did great and was a happy camper the whole time not even caring we were gone. So many fun things for him to do. They also went up to Briton Ski Resort and did a little hike around the lake, went to wheeler Farm and just played.



































































We could not check in for a few hours, so we hit the Provo River to waste some time fishing. It was running really high and fast so it was a different experience for Nate to fish. After catching a few fish we continued on to the lodge. Utah is so beautiful and has so many fun little cities.


We made it to the lodge and got all checked in. It was an 8 bedroom private fly fishing lodge with 8 still waters, gourmet meals, and some fun entertainment rooms. They really made it feel cozy and a home away from home. After we put our bags away we headed straight out to one of the still waters. I have never tried fly fishing before, so I took the opportunity to try it out. Of course I have seen it done thousands of times, but it is a little different when you are doing it yourself. I threw a few casts in to get a hang of it and stood there and waited. Then my fly went under and I set the hook. I had caught a fish. Nate finds this story funny, because I am yelling at him "i caught one, I caught one", as I am backing away from the lake. He comes over and helps me reel it in and net it. I had caught a Tiger Trout. Later on in the week our guide told us that 90% of fisherman never catch a Tiger trout in there life, so I feel pretty special.

We did not get a great picture of it becasue it jumped out of my hands and I shoved it back in the water so it would not die. I hooked into a pretty big one the next day, but he got away. I was pretty proud of myself.

Anyway we fished until 6:55pm and then headed inside for dinner at 7pm. There were 5 other guests staying at the lodge with us and we all sat down together for dinner. It was fun to get to know them and hear every ones fishing stories. We ate a yummy 3 course meal and then hurried outside to fish before it got too dark. The next day was Nate's Guided fishing day. Nate got up early to go our and fish the still waters before breakfast. I slept in a bit and got ready and met him at breakfast at 8am. I was lucky enough to come along on the river to take pictures and enjoy the day with them. I was so excited to be able to wear waders. I am usually tromping through the bushes and bugs along the shore.

Our guide was awesome and actually Nate and him met on a fishing forum a month or so earlier so I lined him up to be our guide. Nate was on cloud 9 all day. He had a bit of a storm that pushed through during lunch and did not mess up to much of the fishing time. Nate has never really site fished, so it was fun to be able to spot the fish and watch as it gulped up the fly. He did not catch a ton of fish, but nothing was under 20". He even had one break the net!





When the Net Broke




Cool Double Rainbow



Of course we fished more after dinner and as much as we could before we checked out the next day. On our way home we stopped my another river and fished for a few hours. It is such a beautiful area!! We had a great adventure and I'm pretty sure Nate loved every minute of it. We were excited to go home and see Carter. Thank you to Grandma, Aimee, Mike and Tuscanee for taking care of him and having so much fun.

The rest of the week went by to fast with Nate fishing more, late nights of board games, jeeping at Pats, swimming at Grandma Jo's and watching fireworks. It was a great week and hope to make it up to Utah again.

4 comments:

Marilee said...

Yes, it was a great week. Carter is a "perfect" child. He was awesome---never complaining or wondering where you were. I am glad you both had an opportunity to be together---You are always welcome in UTAH!

Janelle said...

That was quite the experience and great post! There were so many good pictures... love the ones of Grandma and the kids, and that one of Aimee and the kids at Silver Lake. Then the fishy pictures are great too. You are such a fun wife to plan such a perfect vacation for your honey.... So sweet. I hope Nate soaked it all in!

April Gould said...

Looks like you had a blast! Love the photos!

Aimee said...

Great pictures. We loved playing with Carter. I am glad you suprised Nate with a trip in Utah. I am sure he loved every moment ... of course he did he was fishing.