Thursday, June 25, 2009

What a wonderful smell...

A few weeks ago I went to a mini RS enrichment on how to make bread from your food storage. Now I love to cook and bake and try out new recipes and think I am pretty good at it, but I have never been able to bake bread. For some reason it ALWAYS turns out bad. It either does not rise, rises too much, it too salty, bad texture and so on, and I happen to be married to a person whose top favorite food is bread, so the pressure has been on for many years for me to get my game face on and start baking it RIGHT. So at the enrichment a lady showed us from step one in grinding the wheat all the way to us getting to sample the finished product. It was so good and I knew that Nate would love it. A handful of people that I know don't ever buy bread at a grocery store. They bake 4-5 loaves a week and that is what they use. It is so much more healthy and cost effective. So I got all excited and came home with a list of things I NEEDED to get to start baking bread. I don't have a wheat grinder YET, so I just bought some flour at the store so I could get started. I finally found time this morning before anyone got up to put my baking skills to the test. I had to cut the recipe in half because I only have 2 loaf pans. I started mixing the first group of ingredients and realized I forgot to add one of the most important parts, the yeast. I added it, but was mad it would throw off the dough some how and continue my bad baking experience. I finally got the dough in the pans and in the oven to proof and to my amazement they started to rise. I was so happy. Nate woke up and the first think he said is "do I smell bread?"

I am so proud of myself. They turned out great and are yummy. Carter kept saying "more bread mama" and it passed Nate's approval. YIPPEE. I am hoping once I get a Wheat grinder (Christmas wish list) I can start doing this all the time.

OH - the best part is the smell in the house for the next few hours. It is great!!!



9 comments:

Aimee said...

Wow. I am impressed! For your first time making bread (wink, wink) it turned out great. If if passed Nate's approval then it must have tasted good. Nate's approval is a hard thing to get.

I haven't made bread forever. Mike loves homemade whole wheat bread.

I always have a hard time making my loafs pretty. You made your loafs pretty. Maybe you will have to teach me your secrets ....

Marilee said...

Amazing! I am so impressed with both of my girls. They cook, bake, and make bread. Where did you two come from again????? I am excited that the bread turned out and was approved by Carter and Nate!

Mike said...

Good job Cindi! Aimee hasn't done it forever, but she makes great bread too. I love fresh bread, right out of the oven, with butter and honey on it. Mmmm...I'm getting hungry.

Liz said...

I'm so proud of you for making your own bread. You know that once you've done it Nate will know that you can, so watch out he might expect it once a week! If you are looking for a wheat grinder let me know, my in laws sell them at their bakery and they go fast around christmas time. Hey are you coming up to SL at all in July? We would love to see you!

acrspeech said...

Hey Cindi! You will have to pass along your bread recipe, I try and have minimal success with home made bread. It was great to hear from you! I'm glad all is well with you and Nate and your cute little boy! Happy summer!

Janelle said...

So, I have never made rolls or bread. I think the yeast thing scares me, and I don't really remember my mother making bread or rolls by scratch, so I wasn't around it a lot growing up. Gretchen makes awesome orange rolls, but I haven't even tried those. Your bread looks perfect PERFECT! Way to go!

April Gould said...

Yea!!! It looks so yummy. You will love the wheat grinder! I promised Russ if we got a grinder I would make bread Every week and have been doing so ever since. So fun. Your so domestic with your Bread and Garden!

Grandma H. said...

Way to go!! I always wanted to make bread but did not have the confidence that I could do it. Grandma James made great rolls.

Grandma H. said...

Cindi,,,I'm proud of you for your breadmaking and many, many other things. You are growing and developing so nicely and are clearly a good mommy and wife. Thank you for the nice note a little while back. I love you,,,Uncle Russ