Friday, September 25, 2009

Where is the Bat?

So we have had quite the adrenaline rush at our house. Wednesday, Carter and I left the house around 11 to go to a birthday party. Nate was at home working and happened to be at the kitchen table instead of back in his office. I pulled out of the drive way and had to wait for a green minivan because it was approaching. The van stopped about 2 house down, kind of like it was waiting to let me out, so I just backed up and went on my way. About 20 minutes later I got a call on my cell phone from Nate saying that I would have never guess what had just happened. About 5 minutes after I left someone knocked on our front door. Nate was still in the kitchen and since he was working he did not want to answer. They knocked 3 or 4 times. So Nate got up and looked out our side window to see if he could see who it was. Then he heard the gate rattle and went and looked out our kitchen window. He saw a man's hand coming over the gate to unlatch it. A guy entered our backyard with a backpack on and went straight for the garage side door to check if it was open. Nate immediately ran to our bedroom to get his shoes and the BAT that we usually keep in our bedroom. He could not find it and I am sure was coursing my name for moving it. He found a wooden dowel rod that we used to keep a window shut. Him and our dog Allie ran out our back sliding glass doors and turned the corner to see now 2 big guys trying to enter our home. They were so surprised to see Nate and all they wanted to do was get out of here. One guy opened the gate and went through while the other tried to jump over. Nate met him on the other side and gave him a few good pounds with his rod. He dropped his backpack and ran after his buddy. Allie and Nate were chasing after them. One car drove past without even stopping to help (that upset Nate the most), but a nice lady stopped and Nate told her to call 911. Another car, a green minivan, was pulling up and Nate yelled at it to call 911 as he noticed these 2 guys getting in to it. So Nate got the license plate number and a perfect description of the car. Nate said that cops were at our house with in 3 minutes and with in 10 minutes they called in that they had caught the guys. Nate did not want them coming back to our house so he could ID them, so Nate jumping into one of the police cars and raced south about 15miles. Nate said they were going SOOOOO fast. They said as the call went out on the police radio of what to look for, an under cover cop looked in his rear view window and saw a green minivan. He pulled over, let the van pass, and then pulled behind to verify and pulled them over. I had to pick Nate up at the police station and the first thing he said to me is "where is the bat, I could have done so much more damage with the bat."

As of yesterday they all 3 were still in jail and the bat has been found and relocated to our bedroom. Allis is now learning that it is ok to bark when someone is at the door. If the dudes don't admit to what they did then we will probably have to go to court and testify. This is so crazy that it happened. They just saw a car pulling out and probably thought, : Wife is leaving to run errands, husband is at work and we have a empty house...... Be safe and aware of what is going on around you!!

7 comments:

Marilee said...

I want to HARM the men, and kick them, and teach them manners, and tell them to GET A JOB like real people do! No one has the RIGHT to be inside someone's home in order to ROB them!!!!!!! Didn't their mothers teach them anything?????????? Glad the GREENS are safe and sound, and that Nate was home to destroy their dream of having a home to themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness!!! That is sooo freaky...what if you had been home alone!!! Wait to go Nate for being fast on his toes and getting those guys!! I think I'll go put our lock back up on our fence right now! FREAKY!!

Liz said...

Holy CRAP!!! I am so glad everyone is ok, including your house. I could just hear Nate saying "they were going so fast"! We don't have a bat, but maybe getting one wouldn't be too bad of an investment!

Sheila said...

We have a bat under our bed and I hope we never have to use it. We've had some break-ins in our neighborhood, same story. The bad guys knocked on the door three times and the lady at home didn't answer it. They broke in and were confronted by the lady inside. The robber said, "Why didn't you answer your door?" Duh!!! And then they ran out of the house.

Unknown said...

Holy smokes! I can't believe Nate was close enough to hit them. Yikes! Glad you're all safe.

Unknown said...

Bah! This is Becca, logged is as Joel.

Janelle said...

um,,, what????????? Cindi, the stories and 'what if's' are just going through my head. What if you were in the bathroom,,, what if you were in the shower and Carter was napping, what if they had a gun, what if you came back after you left cause you forgot something and Nate was not home and you happened upon them????? I am soooooooo paranoid now. We live in a creepy world, and I just can't believe this happened to you guys. We have 2 samurai swords and a bat under our bed,,, plus I have a lethal weapon in Bren alone. He can be pretty intimidating,, but geez. The whole thing is bizarre how you caught them in 15 min, and wow for Nate for having some major testosterone rage and hitting them with the stick... WOW!!! I'm so glad you're safe! Are you getting alarms now??