
So I was making some yummy Chicken Tacos for dinner and the salsa ingredients called for chopped Jalapeno. I know that the heat is in the seeds and the white membrane inside, so I always scrape it out with a knife. This time the seed were in their pretty tight, so I just used my finders and thumbs and did not think anything of it. About an hour later my thumb felt like it was on fire. I could not figure out why. Then I remembered the Jalapeno. It felt like I had but my thumb on a burner and got a major burn. It is amazing the damage that a little pepper can do. Nate was sick of hearing me complain about it, so I googled what I could do. Some people said milk and some people said rubbing alcohol. I used both and the alcohol worked best for me. It still was not 100% and can still feel it 2 days later.
So my advice to use is, if you are dealing with a Jalapeno, wear gloves!!


6 comments:
Good advice, but I won't ever need it. I don't every cut or hold Jalapenos. Hope the food was yummy.
I love eating Jalapenos, but have never bought any. I will remember your advice if I ever get brave to make them.
I feel your pain. Years ago I was cutting up one of Uncle Bill's homegrown peppers for salsa. The a few hours later I put my contacts in. BURN!!!!! My eyes would not stop watering and burning. It was awful. I had to thrown those contacts out. And that was back in the day when you wore the same pair of contacts for months and they were really expensive. I don't do peppers anymore.
I have been burned (literally) a bunch of times when I forget and itch my eye or ear. I keep going back though- I love jalepenos. I should get some gloves.
-Becca
I just learned why I do not do jalepenos.
I have never cooked with jalapenos. I think they are a little too spicy for me. I hate when my hands smell like onions or garlic though...
Post a Comment